September 17, 2008

Magazine Articles

Many authors (and aspiring authors) supplement their income and practice their craft while
writing magazine articles. It's also an excellent way to get published. Adding writing credits to your query letter shows an editor that you are serious about your craft and good enough to be accepted by a magazine. Many local magazines/newspapers pay well and the article can result from a fun family outing. I recently submitted a magazine article on "Lucy the Elephant" in Margate, NJ. Lucy is the world's largest elephant. She was originally built as a tourist attraction and has since served as a tavern, private residence and hotel. I haven't visited Lucy since I was little, and I wanted my kids to see her. A fun family outing turned into an article! Be sure to take photos when submitting your article. Most magazines want the author to write a first-hand experience.

No comments: