May 25, 2009

Hobby or Career?

An interesting article this week in the Children's Writer eNews , Rx for writers, by author Jennifer Lynne Barnes. The focus of the article: is my writing a hobby or is this a career? I loved Jennifer's quote, "This is what I want to do, and if I'm not good enough now, I'll find a way to make it better." Sometimes, a children's author will have the not-so-envious task of not only convincing yourself that this is a career, but convincing others as well. It's easy to treat writing as a hobby, particularly when so many writers hold other jobs as well. And it's often those jobs that pay the bills. But advancing in a writing career is the same as any other career. The more experience you have, the better you will be. As a mom, I can tell you that the writing can be set aside for a long list of errands, volunteering, carpooling, coaching, dinner and homework help. For those with very young children, it's nearly impossible to find an hour of uninterrupted time. Other jobs require continuous education, making contacts, learning new technology and experience - so does your writing career. Explain to yourself (and others) that this is your investment in your future. If you are fortunate enough to be published, you have a career that you love. Maybe that's why we call it a hobby. Believe in yourself and others will believe in you also.

1 comment:

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Fabulous post, Jeannine! I think I'll print it out and tape it over my desk. : )