November 5, 2009

Katharine Paterson, Author

"I like to write about people whom the world neglects or forgets. I've known so many brave people that most of the world would count as nothing. I love to give them their due." - Katherine Paterson, author

Wow! Talk about inspiration! From The Institute of Children's Literature, a fantastic interview with Katharine Paterson. Katherine won the Newbery Medal for two of her books: Bridge to Terabithia and Jacob Have I Loved. She also won an Honor Book Newbery Medal for The Great Gilly Hopkins.

The entire interview is delightful, as it seems Ms. Paterson is herself. But to have the noble goal of writing about people that would otherwise be forgotten, is outstanding. Ms. Paterson draws upon her experience of her son's childhood friend in Bridge to Terabithia, and her time as a foster parent in The Great Gilly Hopkins. She gives hope to the struggling writer, as she wrote while she was raising four children under the age of five!

As with many writers, her children gave her the inspiration to write. Asked about her busy years as a young mother struggling to find free time she notes, "But I've always maintained that the people who took away my time were the same ones who gave me something to say. If I had to chose between those four and my books. There would be no contest. The children would win hands down."

Bravo to Katharine Paterson. Check out the interview - it will make your day!

1 comment:

Joanne R. Fritz said...

Great post, Jeannine. I adore Katherine Paterson. Ever since I read BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA, I wished I could write like that.